If submitting forms with deadline dates that fall on a weekend, the Admissions & Records Office will accept the form through the following business day.  Click on any link below to learn more about polies and procedures of the San Bernardino Valley College A & R Office.

  • A student who is charged Non-Resident Tuition Fees may apply under new guidelines for relief through the AB540.  The California Non-Resident Tuition Exempt Request was amended by Ed. Code section 68130.5, effective Jan 1, 2018.

    The Rules:

    To qualify under new AB540 guidelines a student must have completed a minimum of one (1) from Category A AND B.

    Category A: 

    1. I attended a California high school three (3) years or more.
    2. I have three (3) or more years of high school coursework AND attended a combination of California elementary  secondary  school.
    3. I attended a combination of California high school, adult school, California community college.

    Get the form

  • New regulations from CCC Chancellors Office will affect the student BOG Fee Waiver program & Priority Enrollment.  Students will have the right to appeal the loss of their BOG Fee Waiver & Priority Enrollment.  See Standards.

    Get the form

  • Auditing a course allows a student to take a class without the benefit of a grade or credit for a course.  Audits are for purposes of self-enrichment and academic exploration.

    Students who have been admitted to SBVC are eligible to apply to audit courses at the college.  Students must meet all course prerequisites.  It is the responsibility of the student to provide documentation that the prerequisite(s) has been met.  Auditing enrollment is permitted only on a space available basis.  A student may enroll in a course for audit only if they have not enrolled in that course for credit during the same semester.

    Get the form

    The Rules

    1. Complete an Audit Application (Instructor signature required) and submit with payment to Admissions & Records ($15 per unit).
    2. Any instructor may refuse an audit without explanation.
    3. Credit students will always receive registration priority and space in the classroom over auditing students.
    4. Once audit enrollment is completed, you are not permitted to change their enrollment (audit to credit OR credit to audit) status.
    5. If enrolled for ten (10) or more semester units, student will not be charged a fee to audit three (3) or fewer units per semester;  Mandatory student fees are calculated in final cost.

    Audited classes do not count towards units for financial aid, veteran's benefits, full-time student status, or any other purpose.  No refund will be permitted after enrollment per BP/AP 5033.  Classroom attendance of students auditing a course shall not be included in computing the apportionment due to the District. 

  • If a student stops attending class, it is the student's responsibility to officially drop the class.  A student who wishes to drop one or more classes but continue enrollment in other classes should drop the course online prior to the end of the second week (or 20% of a term, whichever is sooner).  No entry will be made on the student's record for dropping a class prior to the 20% deadline.  A student who withdraws or is dropped from a course before 60% of the class has been completed will not receive a letter grade.  Instead, the letter W (Withdrawal) will be recorded on the student's transcript.  This symbol carries no evaluation of the student's work, but is a clerical notation that the student was enrolled in the course and withdrew or dropped without grade or unit credit.  W's are used in probation and dismissal procedures as well as in determining satisfactory academic progress for financial aid.  Students will receive a letter grade if they continue any course after 60% of a class has been completed.  Students may receive no more than three (3)  "W" grades for any one course (Title 5, section 55024).  A student activated for military service may receive a military withdrawal (MW) at any time during the semester.  Military withdrawals will not factor into progress probation and disqualification.  Students who are members of the military (active or reserve) or National Guard should present their military orders to the Admissions and Records Office in order to have the MW assigned.

  • Money collected from the Student Activities fee supports the many student organizations/clubs on campus, as well as academic, cultural, and social events and activities offered by the ASG at SBVC.  To apply for a refund submit the form no later than one week of registering for classes.

    Get the form

  • This form can be used for late withdrawals, excused withdrawals (EW), course repeats, etc.

    The student who feels that because of extenuating circumstances (with documented proof) allow for deviation from the college catalog and policy regarding academic transcript/registration, will have the option to file a Petition for Academic Exception. The Student Policies & Scholastic Standards Committee will consider each petition on the basis of its overall individual merit.

    **Student's receiving financial aid-

    Please check with the SBVC Financial Aid Dept. before requesting a drop, withdraw, or excused withdraw. Dropping or withdrawing from classes may impact your financial aid status.

    Submit Online

  • Submit a transcript request form to Admissions & Records in person/mail.  Other ordering options at the Transcripts website. You must provide a full address to mail transcript (a2zcolleges.com).

    Get the form

  • To make changes in your student record (SSN, D.O.B., address, major, email etc.), present picture I.D. and submit this form to the A & R Office.

    Get the form

  • This changes your academic program. It is advised that you meet with a counselor regarding major changes.

    Get the form

  • Please see the Transfer Credit Evaluations website for requirements for requesting an evaluation.

    Get the form

  • A Parent/Guardian form to authorize their underage student to participate in college course related activities.

    Get the form

  • Students who feel that their knowledge of a subject is
    equivalent to the content of a course offered by the college
    may apply for credit-by-examination. To do so, the
    following conditions must exist:

    • The student must submit evidence of extensive background and/or experience in the subject to the instructor of the course.
    • The student must have completed twelve (12) or more units at San Bernardino Valley College or be a permanent employee of the San Bernardino Community College District.
    • The student must be enrolled in the college during the semester in which he/she takes the examination.
    • In accordance with Board Policy 5080, credit-by examination for Modern Language courses may be granted only to students who take the next higher language course while attending San Bernardino Valley College, and only with the approval of the Modern Languages Faculty Chair.

    Get the form/Instructions

  • The processing time for a duplicate copy of your original award is 3 weeks at a cost of $10 per document.  You will receive your copy with certified mail delivery.

    Submit Online.

  • Your student academic records are treated in a confidential and responsible manner as required by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). Students have:

    • The right to inspect and review their educational records within 45 days of the day the College receives a request.  This refers to the transcript request which SBVC provides online/mail/in-person requests to view official and non-official transcripts.  Under special circumstances a student should submit to the Associate Dean, Enrollment Management, a written request that identifies the record(s) he/she wishes to inspect.  The Associate Dean will make arrangements for access and will notify the student of the time and place where the record(s) may be inspected.  If the records are not maintained by the Admissions and Records Office, the Associate Dean will advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
    • The right to request the amendment of the portions of their education records that they believe are inaccurate or misleading. This refers to the process SBVC has provided, Petition for Academic Exception.  Petitions are reviewed by a committee and students are emailed results of the request.  Students should write to the Associate Dean clearly identifying the part of the record they want changed, and specifying why it is inaccurate or misleading.  If the college decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the college will notify the student of the decision (by email) and will advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment.  Additional information regarding the request for amendment.  Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing. 
    • The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.  SBVC offers the option to sign a Release of Information Form.  This authorizes a person/business/agency to access the student academic record.  Further, one exception that permits release of student records without written consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests.  A "school official" is defined as a person employed by the college in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the college has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a member of the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.  A school official has a "legitimate education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.
    • Students have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by San Bernardino Valley College to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

    The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

    Family Policy Compliance Office U.S. Department of Education - 400 Maryland Avenue, SW - Washington, DC 20202

    Get the form

  • The Instructor of the course has sole authority to assign a grade for a student. Students who are not satisfied with the grade assigned may discuss the issue of grade earned with the instructor (SBVC College Catalog).  Before filing a Grade Appeal the student must:

    1. Have a dialogue with the instructor to determine whether a mistake had been made and/or to seek further understanding of the basis of the grade.
    2. If the student is unsatisfied after the dialogue with the instructor, he/she must meet with the Division Dean to seek further clarification. 
    3. If the student is unsatisfied after the dialogue with the Dean, he/she may file a Grade Appeal with the Office of Admissions & Records Office (AD/SS-100). California Education Code, 76224 (a); Title 5, California Code of Regulations § 55025, (a) (b) (c) (d); SBCCD Board Policy 4234, and SBCCD Administrative Procedure 4234.

    Get the form

  • Students seeking a Degree, Certificate or Certificate of Career Preparation may now file your application online.

    Degree applicants must obtain a graduation check from a counselor.  Certificate applicants are encouraged to meet with a counselor for a graduation check, but is not required to apply.

    Get the form

  • The student who has completed a comparable major requirement at another college will have the option to file a course substitution or waiver to the Admissions and Records Office. Keep in mind that twelve 12 units, or 50 % of the coursework required for a certificate, whichever is the lesser, must be completed at SBVC.  For more information contact the respective Division Office for approval.

    Get the form

  • Residence determination must be made each semester for non-resident tuition purposes. The college application and, if necessary, other evidence furnished by the student are used in making residence determination.  Any adult who is physically present in the state while, at the same time, intending to make California his/her permanent home, may establish legal residence. The resident determination date is that day immediately preceding the opening day of instruction for each semester or term. Steps must be taken at least one year prior to the residence determination date to establish the intent to make California one’s permanent home with concurrent relinquishment of the prior legal residence.  Some indications of intention to establish and maintain California residence include, but are not limited to:

    • Payment of California state income tax as a resident.
    • Registering to vote and voting in California.
    • Possessing California motor vehicle license plates.
    • Possessing a valid California driver’s license.
    • Maintaining a permanent military address or home of record in California while in the armed services.
    • Establishing and maintaining active California bank accounts.
    • Being a petitioner for a divorce in California.

    Get the form

  • Students who wish to be graded in any class on a
    Pass/No Pass basis must complete the appropriate form
    which is available in the Admissions and Records Office
    (Administration/Student Services Building, Room 100) or
    on the college website. The paperwork must be submitted no later than the end of the first 30 percent of the course.
    Credit will be granted only when the work is of a quality
    equivalent to a grade of “C” or better. A maximum of 15
    units of credit (P) courses may apply toward graduation
    requirements. Pass/No Pass grading is not permitted in a course within a student’s major area of study. This rule
    may be waived for students who complete courses for
    credit and who later declare a major in that field of study.
    **Once Pass/No Pass has been selected as a grading
    option, a letter grade (A-F) cannot be issued.**

    Get the form

  • Academic Disqualification - A student on academic and/or progress probation shall be
    dismissed for one semester when one or more of the following conditions exists:

    • The student has earned a cumulative grade point average of less than 2.00 in all units attempted in each of the three consecutive semesters. (For purposes of this section, semesters shall be considered consecutive on the basis of the student’s enrollment.)
    • The student has received course completion symbols of NP, I and/or W in 50/fifty percent or more of the units for which he/she was enrolled in each of three consecutive semesters.
    • The student has received a combination of the two patterns listed above in each of three consecutive semesters.  As with probation, a student will be informed of dismissal by email and/or letter. A student may appeal his/her disqualification status.

    A student may be reinstated one semester after the date of dismissal. Students enrolled following dismissal shall be on probationary status for one semester. If, after this semester, the scholastic achievement of the readmitted student continues at a probationary level, the student may be dismissed for one year. Students must see a counselor and complete readmissions documents. Counseling can be reached in AD/SS Room 103 or at (909) 384-4404.

    Get the form

  • Refund Paragraph  A-D

    A. Designated Fees include:

    1. Enrollment
    2. Non-Resident Tuition
    3. Parking
    4. Health
    5. Accident Insurance
    6. Student Center
    7. Student Representation Fee
    8. Transportation Fee

    C. Refund Schedule - The following refund schedule (1-5) applies to all fees listed in Paragraph A, above: 

    1. Fees are collected in error – Fees collected in error will be refunded in their entirety.
    2. Class cancelled by the college – If a class is cancelled by the college, enrollment and/or nonresident tuition fees will be refunded in their entirety. If that cancellation results in a student’s withdrawal from the college, refunds of the appropriate fees listed in Paragraph A will apply.
    3. Withdrawal from the College  - a. Enrollment Fee/Non-Resident Tuition – If a student withdraws during the first two weeks of a full-term class or during the first 10% of a short-term class, enrollment fees and non-resident tuition fees will be refunded;  b. Parking fee, Health fee, Accident Insurance fee, Student Services Card fee, Student Center fee, Student Representation fee – In order to be eligible for a refund, a student must withdraw prior to the first day of the term and attach decal/ proof to refund request within 30 days of instruction.
    4. Unit Reduction – If a change of program within the first two weeks of a full-term class or during the first 10% of a short-term class results in a reduction in the number of units taken, the enrollment fee or nonresident fee will be refunded at the per unit cost of the reduction.
    5. A student who withdraws from a class or the college after the second week of instruction for a full-term class or the first 10% of a short-term class is not eligible for any refund.

    D. Refund Processing Fee – A charge of $10 will be collected for each refund transaction not to exceed $10.00 per
    student per semester, except for cancelled classes or over-payment.  It takes approximately six to eight weeks to process a refund check.  If a student wishes to apply the refund credit toward registration in another class, he/she must
    submit the drop and add at the same time.

    Get the form

  • If you are not able to be present to complete a transaction on campus, you may authorize someone to complete your transaction for you. The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 requires proof of identity for all proxy transactions being made on behalf of a student. Submit the Release of Information Form with picture identification to the Admissions & Records Office (AD/SS-100). Mailing this form requires a Notary Public to verify the identity of the student.

    Get the form

  • Repeated Courses - Course Repetition in a Non-Repeatable Course - Course repetition allows students to repeat classes under the following circumstances: (Title 5, Section 58161)

    1. The student is repeating the course to alleviate substandard work which has been recorded on the student’s record (D, F, NP, or N/C). Courses in which a substandard evaluative symbol has been assigned may be repeated three times. Student may attempt a course more than three times only upon approval through the college’s petition process (Title 5, section 55024).
    2. The course outline of record has been officially changed and demonstrates significant curricular changes. A Petition for Academic Exception is required.
    3. Repetition of courses where substandard work has not been recorded is permitted when such repetition is necessary for a student to meet a legally mandated training requirement as a condition of continued paid or volunteer employment.

    An example of a Non-Repeatable Course:  Engl-101, Math-090, Read-950, ESL-907, Acad-001, Art-100 etc.

    An example of a Repeatable Course:  Acad-600Hx4, Art-212x4, Auto-090x3, PE/I-105x4 etc.

    Those repeating coursework at another college/university should submit the Repeat Of A Sub-Standard Grade Form to the Office of Admissions & Records to alleviate the GPA from a previous sub-standard grade earned.  This form does not apply in the case of Repeatable Courses noted above.

    Get the form