Association of Independent California Colleges and Universities (AICCU)

Founded in 1955, the AICCU is comprised of over 85 independent, nonprofit colleges and universities in California. Amongst them all, you will find great differences in size, educational purpose, and emphasis.

How to Transfer to a  Private / Independent College

Most independent colleges have admissions requirements similar to the CSU or UC system, but they vary by university. For example, some private colleges will require only 15 units for transfer admission and others will require 30-60 units. A good place to begin to explore private universities is on the AICCU website at

In addition to the public colleges and universities in California, there are many outstanding independent institutions in the state. There are also many private and public colleges located throughout the United States to which SBVC students can transfer. Each of these institutions has it own unique requirements for admission. Students may check with a counselor or the Transfer Center for the latest articulation information. Specific information about the requirements and educational opportunities available at most California independent college is available on the AICCU website at
Although admission requirements vary and are listed in the catalogs of the various colleges and universities, students who transfer to independent colleges and universities are given credit for most, if not all, of their community college work. Virtually all colleges and universities give full credit for general education courses and for most other courses designated by the community college for transfer. Many independent colleges and universities accept total CSU General Education-Breath or IGETC certification as partial or total completion of their own campus general education requirements.
Most independent colleges have admissions requirements similar to the UC or CSU system, but vary by university. For instance, some private colleges may require as little as 15 – 30 units for transfer admissions and many require essays and/or letters of recommendation, and some even interviews.
Filing periods will vary by campus. Please refer to individual college catalogs for more information.

For more information on transferring to a private or idependent college in California, visit the AICCU Website.

 Learn More About the AICCU

Meet with the Transfer and Career Team

The SBVC Transfer and Career Services team is available to assist you in developing a plan specifically designed to meet your transfer and career goals.

Make an Appointment


Learn More About Transferring to a Private / Independent College