Legal California Residents

Students may be required to complete a Supplemental Residency Questionnaire to clarify residency or apply for a residency reclassification. Residency changes are not automatic. Residency will not be changed once the semester has ended.

Final determination of residency will be made by the college at the time of admission or readmission. Evidence will be required to prove your physical presence in California and intent to make California your legal residence.  Residency determination shall be made as of the day before the first day of the semester.  All documents must be submitted in a timely manner for determination.

To be considered for California residency, you must:

1. Be physically present in California for at least one year and one day prior to the start of the semester.

2. Show at least three documents of intent to establish California residency dating at least one year and and day prior to the start of the semester.

3. Not be precluded from establishing residency by provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act. (Title 5, 54020 and 54028).

Starting January 1, 2013, AB 540 students may apply for the California Dream Act. Read more at Financial Aid.

Any student other than a non-immigrant alien, who meets all of the following requirements, shall be exempt from paying nonresident tuition at the California Community Colleges (all public colleges and universities in California).

AB 540 Requirements (Get the form)

  • The student must have attended a California high school (public or private), and/or a California Community College for three or more years (Official transcript required).
  • The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent prior to the start of our term (Official document required showing GED or California High School Proficiency exam).
  • An undcocumented student who is without lawful immigration status must file an affidavit with the college or university stating that he or she has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.
  • California does not participate in the State Authorization Reciporcity Agreements (SARA), and therefore we cannot permit out-of-state (students with and out-of-state address) to enroll in our courses.

Submit documents to Admissions and Records, AD/SS 100.

The Admissions & Records Specialist, Raquel Villa will be available in AD/SS-100 by appointment for students inquiring of residency topics.

Quick Guide to AB 540

Nonresident Tuition Fee Exemption to Eligible Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) Holders:

Education Code section 68075.6 grants an immediate nonresident tuition fee exemption to eligible Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) holders and refugee students who settled in California upon entering the United States. This exemption is granted for one year from the date the student settled in California upon entering the United States.

This exemption applies to the following:

  • Iraqi citizens or nationals (and thier spouses and children) who were employed by or on behalf of the United States Government in Iraq (Pub.L. No. 110-181, § 1244)
  • Afghan and Iraqi translators (and their spouses and children) who worked directly with the Unites States Armed Forces (Pub.L. No. 109-163, § 1059)
  • Afghanistan nationals who were employed by or on behalf of the U.S. Government or in the International Security Assistance Force
  • Refugee student admitted to the United States under Section 1157 of Title 8 of the United States Code

For more information email Raquel Villa at