Music is one of the most profoundly moving experiences of all human endeavors

Postponed Concerts: Covid-19

College's Response to COVID-19 
The California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office
is monitoring the situation with the outbreak and will continue to update this page. Colleges are urged to follow guidance provided by the California Department of Public Health, working closely with local public health agencies.  


Jazz Improv and Theory recruitment flyer

Instrumental Chamber Music, Music 180

concert band this fall! meets monday nights at 6pm

Music: Associate of Arts (AA) Degree

To graduate with a specialization in Music, students must complete the following required courses plus the general breadth requirements for the Associate Degree (total = 60 units).

Click here for a list of required courses for the AA Degree. 

Music: Associate of Arts Transfer (AA-T) Degree

The Associate of Arts for Transfer (AA-T) in Music develops a well-rounded musician. Students who pursue this degree will have guaranteed admission to a California State University (CSU) campus upon successful completion of the specified program requirements. This degree provides students with transfer preparation and pre-professional training. Students should consult with a counselor to determine whether this degree is the best option for their transfer goals.

 The Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or the Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) is intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor's degree in a similar major at a CSU campus. Students completing these degrees (AA-T or AS-T) are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major.

 To earn a music AA-T degree, students must complete the following Associate Degree for Transfer requirements:

* completion of the following major requirements with grades of C or better; 
* completion of a minimum of 60 CSU transferable semester units with a grade point average of at least 2.0; and 
* certified completion of the CSU General Education-Breadth (CSUGE) or Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) for CSU, which requires a minimum of 37-39 units.

It is highly recommend that students complete courses that satisfy the U.S. History, Constitution, and American Ideals requirement as part of CSUGE or IGETC before transferring to a CSU.

 Students planning to transfer to a baccalaureate institution and major in Music should consult with a counselor regarding the transfer process and lower division requirements.

Click here for a list of required courses for the AA-T Degree.

Where are we located? 
The Music Department, and concerts in the "MAC"
are in the North Hall Building. map of campus and north hall with parking lot

The SBVC Music Department offers a comprehensive program of music study.

The faculty and students in the department of music share a deep and abiding love for their art and a common desire to achieve excellence in it.  The curriculum provides basic preparation for careers in music or futher study and is designed to provide a balanced education in the many facets of musical experience.  It is the goal of the music department to help students develop their own musical and intellectual potential to the highest possible level.

Members of Voci Soli
Voci Soli Ensemble


Picture of Summer Band 2017 

Summer Band


Concert Choir singing at Black History Month

Concert Choir sings for Black History Month


Joshua Brown, Guitar Faculty

Joshua Brown, Guitar Faculty


Students planning to transfer to a four-year institution and major or minor in music should consult with a counselor regarding the transfer process and lower-division requirements.

There are a variety of performance opportunities through music ensembles and classes. 
For information, contact Matie Manning Scully

Degrees & Certificates