San Bernardino Valley College (SBVC) uses a guided self-placement and questionnaire. The placement is primarily used to assist students in the following:

  • Know if they have met the class prerequisite requirements
  • Choose appropriate classes
  • Develop a student educational plan

Assessment Center, AD/SS 101 (909) 384-4409 

  1. Complete the San Bernardino Valley College (SBVC) application.
  2. Upon submission of the admission application and receipt of your SBVC student ID number complete the Student Orientation.
  3. Complete the Guided Self-Placement at
  4. After completion of the Guided Self-Placement meet with a counselor to develop your education plan.
English as a Second Language (ESL):  Students who plan to take ESL courses must take the ESL assessment.
  • Individuals wanting to take ESL courses should take the ESL placement tool offered through the Assessment Center (Administration Building, Room 101) before enrolling.  This important placement tool takes approximately one hour to complete. After the ESL placement has been completed, the Assessment Center will provide students with their scores and the level of the ESL course in which they should enroll.
  • Taking an ESL placement is by appointment. Appointments may be made in person at the Assessment Center (AD-101) and via email ( or by calling.

For help with any of these steps or if you have questions. Please contact ESL Counselors Maria Lopez at or Pete Gonzalez at

Estos son los pasos que deben completarse antes de poder registrarse.

  1. Aplique para admisión en línea en San Bernardino Valley College (SBVC)
  2. Aplique para ayuda financiera FAFSA o DreamAct
  3. Complete su Orientación en línea en SelfService (la opción en español está disponible-para información comuníquese con uno de los consejeros indicados abajo)
  4. Haga una cita con el consejero de ESL para un plan educativo
  5. Registrarse para las clases en SelfService

Para obtener ayuda con cualquiera de estos pasos o si tiene preguntas. Por favor, póngase en contacto con un consejero de ESL, Maria Lopez en o Pete Gonzalez en

  • if you took an English and/or Math course at another college or university and received a grade of “C” or better for the course(s), you can request a waiver of the placement.  You need to bring a copy of your official transcript to the Counseling Center (AD/SS-103) for the process of your request.
  • Your coursework will be evaluated and your request will be processed after consulting with a counselor in the Counseling Center.
If you took the prerequisite for a course at another college or university, you can ask for a waiver of the prerequisite.  Please follow the steps for the waiver of the guided self-placement and questionnaire (see the instructions above).
Yes, the placement is not an admissions requirement.  It is a tool to help you and your counselors to learn about your basic skills level and create an appropriate educational plan to meet your academic and/or career goals.
No fee is required.
You will receive your placement results at the end of the guided self-placement.
If you have a learning or physical disability that requires reasonable accommodations to complete the placement, please contact the Disabled Student Programs and Services Department in AD/SS-105 or 909-384-4443.