FTVM/IMA Frequently Asked Questions




FTVM 130 - Film and TV Production Basics
FTVM 131 - Cinematography
FTVM 122 - Acting and Directing
FTVM 111 - Studio Audio Production
FTVM 112 - Film Audio Production
FTVM 110 - Audio Performance


Since 1962, then it was known as Telecommunications. 



FTVM 133 - Broadcast News
FTVM 134 - Sports Broadcasting 
FVM 198 - Media Practicum 


Short films, documentaries, feature films, TV Shows, web series, live broadcasts, and music videos.


If you’re working towards a degree, plan on at least 2 courses if full-time and 1 if part-time. If you’re just working on a certificate and you’re full-time you can take up to 5 classes.


After reviewing he catalog for the FTVM department and talking with the faculty chair set up a meeting with the counselor to create your education plan.


You can schedule appointments with counseling via their website.


Internship applications are available at least once a year, starting in the spring of each academic year. You can contact the department Career Specialist Sarai Maldonado for all career service information at smaldonado@valleycollege.edu.


The department, along with KVCR (the on-campus broadcast station and PBS affiliate), has up to 8 internships available that focus on a variety of film, tv, and media production needs, such as camera operator, technical direction, radio production, and post-production. The department Career Specialist can also help you find other internship opportunities throughout the region.


You must complete at least two of the following classes, FTVM 110, 111, 112, 114, 122, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134. And be enrolled as a full-time student at SBVC.


Many have transferred to four-year universities such as UCLA, USC, CSUN, CSUSB, CSULA, and CSUF as well as gained career positions with Disney, Viacom, ESPN, and PBS.


All classes with a distinction of 100 or 200-level courses transfer to at least a CSU.


Certificates are intensive programs on various aspects of film, television, and media production. Very often, they are under 4 classes, and in some instances, you may finish a certificate along with a degree at the same time.


First, you’ll want to know if you intend to transfer right away or wish to pursue career options after school.

Once you know that, you’ll want to reference one of the following SBVC GE, CSUGE, or IGETC.

In general, you want to complete what’s known as the Golden Four for the CSU:
  • Written Communication
    • English 101
  • Oral Communication
    • Comm 100, 111, or 140
  • Critical Thinking
    • Comm 125, English 102, Philosophy 102 or 103, or Read 102 or 104
  • Math/Quantitative Reasoning
    • For FTVM majors, we suggest Math 108 or 115
For the UC system, you don’t need oral communication but will need a lab science. For FTVM Majors, we suggest Physics 101.


Up to 70 units may transfer to a 4-year institution. You need at least 60 completed units or an associate’s degree, to transfer.


Typically, you can check out equipment for up to 72 hours, usually between Thursday afternoon to Monday morning. Please see our equipment page for more details


After applying to the college, submit a “Change of Major” form to Admissions and Records. Email your completed form to admissions@valleycollege.edu.


You can add and drop classes in SelfService. Or if you want to start a class after the session or semester has begun you may request an add code from the faculty.