"A Road Map for Transfer"

Transfer Requirements and Options

LIBERAL ARTS - Associate  of Arts Degree

The Associate Degree in Liberal Arts is designed for students who wish a broad knowledge of liberal arts and sciences plus additional course work in an "Area of Emphasis". An Area of emphasis is ideal for students planning to transfer to the California State University (CSU) or University of California (UC). Students can satisfy general education requirements, plus focus on transferable course work that relates to majors at CSU or UC. Students are advised to consult with a transfer counselor for specific information regarding choice of major and transfer university. Students may obtain an Associate or Arts Degree in Liberal Arts by completing a minimum of 60 semester units.

It is recommended that students complete either the IGETC or the CSUGE for the general education pattern related to your educational goal. Students are also strongly advised to consult with a transfer counselor relative to required courses for the selected option.

For either the IGETC or CSUGE option, 39-48 units of general education are required.

  •  Complete 18 units in one "Area of Emphasis" from those outlined below. For depth of study, a minimum of two courses in one discipline is required. (note: Where appropriate, courses in the "Area of Emphasis" may also be counted for Associate Degree Option #1 or #2.)
  • For ALL OPTIONS, complete necessary SBVC graduation and proficiency requirements (Refer to page 30 in the SBVC Catalog.)
  • Courses that include a symbol X in the number such as MUS 141 x 4 indicate the course may be taken four times for credit. Students may apply each course with a symbol X only one time toward graduation requirements.

  Biological and Physical Sciences
Social and Behavioral Sciences
Humanities and Fine Arts

CSUGE -California State University GE-Breadth Requirements

The CSU allows San Bernardino Valley College to certify students for a minimum of 39 lower-division semester units of general education courses in accordance with CSU Executive Order 1033. Upon transfer, students will be required to complete at least nine semester units of upper-division general education courses at the CSU. For CSUGE (California State University GE-Breadth Requirements) certification purposes, students may use the catalog of entry or any catalog thereafter as long as continuous enrollment is maintained until transfer to CSU. CSU defines continuous enrollment as one semester or two quarter in each calendar year. Students request official certification of CSUGE at the SBVC Admissions and Record office.

IGETC - Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum Requirements

Completion of all the requirements of the IGETC will permit a student to transfer from a community college to a campus in either the University of California (UC) or the California State University (CSU) without the need to complete additional lower-division general education course. The IGETC is not an admission requirement for transfer to UC or CSU, nor is it the only way to fulfill prior to transfer, the lower-division, general education requirements of UC or CSU. Students pursuing majors that require extensive lower-division preparation may not find the IGETC option to be advantageous. Students with advanced Placement (AP) Examinations will receive credit for the appropriate IGETC area as documented in the "IGETC Standards, Policies, and Procedures" available at icas-ca.org/igetc. A minimum grade of "C" is required in each course. Students request official certification of IGETC at the SBVC Admissions and Records Office.

What is ASSIST?

assist.org is a computerized student-transfer information system that can be accessed over the World Wide Web. It displays reports of how course credits earned at one California college or university can be applied when transferred to another. ASSIST is the official repository of articulation for California's colleges and universities and therefore provides the most accurate and up-to-date information available about student transfer in California.

The ASSIST acronym stands for Articulation System Stimulating Interinstitutional Student Transfer.

Independent Universities - Articulation Agreements

California's Independent Colleges and Universities provide options to students that may not be available at the CSU or UC. Many independent colleges and universities accept either CSUGE or IGETC in lieu of their own general education requirements. The colleges and universities indicated below have articulation agreements with SBVC. More detailed information about transfer is included at course agreements website.

Historically Black Colleges and Universities - HBCU

This site contains links to Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU). You can search by geographic region, by state, etc. Career information, music, and links to other African American sites.