Frequently Asked Questions

FAQs for Community College Transfers

What courses do I need to complete before I transfer?

A student needs to complete minimum university admission requirements (depending on the college or university a student wants to attend) which will include coursework in your major and general education courses (CSU- General Education Breath Requirements or the UC –IGETCI General Education Transfer Curriculum). There are usually a minimum number of units (60) a student needs to complete.  There are some majors that do not require the IGETCI due to the number of lower division courses that should be completed before transferring.  Check with a transfer counselor.

SBVC also offers an AA Liberal Arts Degree which will assist students in meeting their transfer requirements as well as earn a degree. See the SBVC catalog and/or visit the Transfer Center for more information and course requirements.

Do I need an Associate of Arts Degree to transfer?

California colleges and universities do not require an AA to transfer, unless a student intends to compete in athletics at the college or university. By taking the courses required for transfer, you will more than likely meet the requirements for an associate degree as well. Check with a transfer counselor.

Are there a maximum number of units I can transfer?

Specific regulations vary from college to college, however, as a general rule, for the California State University and University of California systems the maximum number of units accepted for transfer will be 70 semester units. (105 quarter units) If applying to a private university the maximum of units will vary, please check with the specific university.

What are the differences between an associate degree and a bachelor's degree?

An associate degree is a degree granted by a community college to students who complete a specified program of study, usually totaling 60 units. A bachelor degree or baccalaureate is a degree granted upon completion of at least 120 semester units or 180 quarter units. Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science Degrees are offered by the California State Universities, the University of California and private four-year colleges and universities.

Do I need to declare a major before I transfer?

It is crucial that you choose a major before transferring. In most cases you will be required to have major preparation completed before you transfer. Universities will recommend that you have preparation for major courses prior to transfer, to ensure an easier transition to their institution.

When do I apply to transfer?

For the California public universities, it is best to apply October thru November for fall admission. Private and out-of state colleges and universities have different deadlines, but a student should always try to get an application in as soon as applications are being accepted, instead of waiting for the deadline.

What is the difference between CSU and a UC?

The California State University (CSU) is the system of higher education in California that grants the most bachelor’s degrees. The CSU campuses also grant masters and some doctorate degrees.  The University of California (UC) is the research system of public higher education in California. The UC grants professional and doctorate degrees, as well as bachelors and masters degrees. The CSU has a more practical, career-oriented approach to education in contrast to the more theoretical approach offered by the UC.

Can I transfer to an out of state school from San Bernardino Valley College?

San Bernardino Valley College is an accredited institution making its courses recognized by other institutions. Depending on the individual institutions requirements, there should be no reason why an equivalent class taken at San Bernardino Valley College could not be considered for transfer.

Will “W’s” affect my ability to transfer?

In most cases, W's are not a focus of admission decisions unless there is an excessive number of W's over a longer course of time.

What is the minimum GPA for transfer?

The minimum GPA needed to transfer to a California State University (CSU) is 2.0.
The minimum GPA needed to transfer to the University of California (UC) is 2.4.

Minimum GPA to a CSU outside your area may require a higher GPA.
The GPA needed for transfer to private colleges varies so please check the college catalog. Some majors and some colleges are impacted and will require higher GPAs for admission.

I have bad grades from another community college. Do I have to tell the college or university I am transferring to?

Yes. You are required to report all previous institutions that you have attended.