How to Make an Appointment to See a Tutor
Students are encouraged to make an appointment if they want to see a tutor for assistance on their papers. Students who do not have an appointment may see a tutor on a drop-in basis. However, please be advised that during the semester, the average waiting time to see a tutor on a drop-in basis can be at least two hours.
ITEMS TO BRING TO YOUR TUTORING APPOINTMENTS
- Your current Student I.D. number
- Your homework assignment as written by your instructor
- The book(s) that you are using for your assignment
- Notebook paper and a pen or pencil
GETTING TO KNOW YOUR TUTORS
The Writing Center has a variety of experienced tutors who specialize in different types of writing styles and levels. To assist you in finding a tutor who can best serve your writing needs, refer to the Meet the Tutors picture frame that is located at the entrance of the Writing Center or the Meet the Tutors link from the sidebar on the right. For instance, there are tutors who can provide assistance with content, grammar, poetry, research, or they can even just help you to come up with ideas to put in your paper.
STEPS TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT
NOTE: To make an appointment, you must have access to the Internet. Also, before making an appointment, you should familiarize yourself with the policies of the Writing Center.
Step 1: Access the Log-on Webpage
Clink on the following link:
Step 2: Log-on to Make an Appointment
On the log-on screen, follow the prompts provided.
- Type in your active Student I.D. number in the box provided.
- Type in your date of birth beginning with the month, day and year in the box provided. Use the following format as an example: mm/dd/yyyy
- Click on Continue
Step 3: Make an Appointment
- Click on Make Appointment
- Select the reason for your Writing Center visit. A reason is usually the class for which you need tutoring assistance.
- Select the Day of the Week, Start Time, End Time and Tutor. Note: The screen will only show the first 50 appointments that are available. For more times of tutoring availability, you may want to specify the days, times or tutors that you wish to see. You will only be able to make an appointment 6 days in advance.
- Click on Find Appointments
- In the left column labeled Select, click on [ * ] to choose your appointment.
- Click on Continue to confirm your appointment.
Your appointment confirmation will be sent to your SBVC email account.
If you do not have access to an email account, please be sure to make a note of the DATE, TIME and TUTOR of your Writing Center appointment.
- Click on Logout
HOW TO BE SEEN AS A DROP-IN / HOW TO LOG-ON FOR A WORKSHOP
NOTE: Use these instructions if you do not have an appointment or if you wish to attend a workshop. If you have an appointment for the day but have already been seen earlier as a drop-in, you must cancel your appointment; otherwise, you will be marked as a no-show.
If you wish to be seen as a drop-in, use your student I.D. card or enter your student I.D. number into the Log-on Computer which is the one closest to the entrance of the Writing Center. Be sure to follow the prompts given.
If you have not made an appointment, you will see a screen that says:
“No appointment found.” Click on Yes
On the next screen, select either CHECK IN/OUT – WORKSHOPS or DROP-IN
- If you wish to see a tutor, click on DROP-IN
- If you wish to attend a workshop, click on CHECK IN/OUT – WORKSHOPS
On the next screen, select only one reason for your visit.
If you are a drop-in, when you are called by your tutor, your tutor will initiate your tutoring session.
HOW TO CANCEL AN APPOINTMENT
If you need to cancel your appointment, click on the following link and log-on to the webpage:
Then click on View or Cancel Appointments to select the appointment that you wish to cancel.
Do not forget to logout of your appointment screen.
NOTE: Cancellations must be made at least one hour before your scheduled appointment.