Assistive Technologies are devices and services used by individuals with disabilities to improve and facilitate access to computers or electronic resources. The High Tech Center offers training for the use of Assistive Technology. Visit us for more information and assistance about access strategies.
Assistive Technology (AT)
The following assistive technologies describe the software and hardware at the High Tech Center(HTC). Connect on links of any AT for more information...
Assistive Technology Software for Vision Impairments
JAWS is a comprehensive screen reading program that helps low vision or blind users complete tasks such as browsing the web, sending and reading e-mail, utilizing spreadsheets, and accessing databases...
Kurzweil 1000 is scanning/reading software that makes printed or electronic text accessible to students with visual impairments. The application turns text into synthesized speech and does much more...
ZoomText is a program that magnifies the computer screen for students with low vision. This program also has the ability to speak to the user as he/she works...
EasyReader is software that empowers users with learning disabilities and visual impairments to have full access to Digital Talking Books for a unique multi-sensory experience...
Assistive Technology Software for Learning Disabilities
WYNN is the innovative literacy software tool designed to enhance success for individuals with reading challenges and writing difficulties such as dyslexia, dysgraphia and aphasia...
OpenBook converts printed documents into an electronic text format on your computer, using quality speech and the latest optical character recognition (OCR) technology...
Kurzweil 3000 is a program that enables conversion of print to electronic text which can be read to the user. The program also offers a variety of study skill tools to make learning easy...
Brain Fitness Program
The Brain Fitness Program speeds up and sharpens auditory processing—the listening system of the brain. Posit Science's is clinically proven for a sharper brain to improve in thinking, focus, and memory...
Co:Writer is a word-prediction program that helps students write with correct grammar and spelling...
MathTalk allows users to voice any math from prealgebra, algebra, trig, calculus, statistics, through Ph.D. and graduate level. This includes voicing graphs! Math Talk is used with Scientific Notebook and Dragon Naturally Speaking...
Scientific Notebook is a software program powerful enough to facilitate teaching, communicating, learning, and exploring mathematics. An easy-to-use word processor that completely integrates writing mathematics...
Learning Ally's accessible educational resources help struggling readers with learning disabilities like dyslexia or visual impairments to achieve their personal best...
Assistive Technology Software for Mobility Impairments
Dragon Naturally Speaking
Dragon Naturally Speaking is a voice recognition program that makes it possible to write text and to control most application and workstation functions with your voice...
Assistive Technology Hardware for Vision Impairments
- Closed Circuit Televisions (CCTVs) are available at the HTC and DSPS Testing Services for video magnification of print and other materials.
- Headsets. Students can concentrate on audio text, and use attached microphone which allows for hands-free use of voice recognition software.
- Double monitors provide a better view of enlarged text and graphics if needed.
- Flat-bed scanners
- A Tactile Image Enhancer creates an upraised impression of an image on specially made paper.
- Large-Print Keyboard - Black on Yellow
Large-Print Keyboard - White on Black
- Magnifying Glass Tools
- Talking Calculator
Assistive Technology Hardware for Learning Disabilities
- Headphones can provide privacy. Students can concentrate on audio text.
- Flat-bed scanners
Assistive Technology Hardware for Mobility Impairments
- Adjustable height chairs and adjustable height tables.
- Laptops equipped with adaptive software from the HTC throughout the school year.
- Ergonomic and special keyboards that make typing more comfortable.
- Headsets with attached microphone which allows for hands-free use of voice recognition software.