Assessment Center, AD/SS 101 (909) 384-8955 or (909) 384-8959
San Bernardino Valley College (SBVC) uses the Accuplacer assessment test. The test is primarily used to assist students in the following:
Can I take an ESL Placement Test?
- English as a Second Language (ESL) test: Students who plan to take ESL courses must
take the ESL assessment test.
How to waive the Basic Skills Assessment Test?
- If you took an English and/or Math course at another college or university and received
a grade of “C” or better for the course(s), you can request a waiver of the test.
You need to bring a copy of your official transcript to the Counseling Center (AD/SS-103)
for the process of your request.
- Your coursework will be evaluated and your request will be processed after consulting
with a counselor in the Counseling Center.
How to waive a course prerequisite?
- If you took the prerequisite for a course at another college or university, you can
ask for a waiver of the prerequisite. Please follow the steps for the waiver of the
Basic Skills Assessment Test (see the instructions above).
How to make an appointment for the Basic Skills Assessment Test?
- After you have received your SBVC student ID number and completed the orientation,
you may schedule an appointment for the test online.
- A valid picture ID (driver’s license, passport, school ID, etc.) is required in order
to take the test.
- Assessment test is available by appointment. Walk-in test-takers are welcome if space
- Test sessions are generally scheduled Monday–Friday at 8:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Here is the schedule
for January 2017.
- Here are the test sample questions for you to practice prior to your scheduled test.
Frequently asked questions:
- Is there any help in pre-test preparation?
Yes. The Mathematics Department offers free Math Basics Skills videos. The Reading & Study Skills Department also offers free Pre-Assessment Workshops
to prepare you to do your best on the reading portion of the assessment test.
- If I don’t do well on the test, will I still be able to attend SBVC?
Yes, the assessment is not an admissions requirement or a pass/fail test. It is
a tool to help you and counselors to learn about your basic skills level and create
an appropriate educational plan to meet your academic and/or career goals.
- Is there a fee to take the test?
No fee is required.
- How long will it take to get my results?
You will receive your placement results at the end of the test.
- Will I be allowed to use a calculator or dictionary during the test?
No, calculators or dictionaries are not allowed during the assessment test.
- How long are the test results valid?
Assessment test results are valid for two years.
- How long will the test take?
The tests are not timed and you can work at your own pace. Please allow 2 ½ to 3
hours to complete all tests.
- What if I need accommodations to complete the test?
If you have a learning or physical disability that requires reasonable accommodations
to complete the assessment test, please contact the Disabled Student Programs and
Services Department in AD/SS-105 or (909) 384-4443.