New ordinance by City of San Bernardino restricts parking on neighborhood streets in front of residents' homes as of June 2013.
At the City of San Bernardino City Council meeting on May 6, 2013, a unanimous decision prompted by residents in the neighborhood around San Bernardino Valley College led to the development of a “resident parking by permit only” restriction on many of the streets surrounding San Bernardino Valley College (see map below, at right).
In June 2013, signs like the one pictured at right were erected along the “resident parking by permit only” routes in front of neighbors’ homes on Esperanza Street, Eureka Avenue, Hazel Avenue, “K” Street, and Mission Drive. The City of San Bernardino will begin enforcing the new policy starting in June 2013.
Important reminders for the SBVC community related to this new change:
• Parking in the restricted areas is by residents only who must show a permit issued by the City of San Bernardino (available only to residents in the immediate neighborhood).
• Parking decals issued by SBVC for parking on campus are not the same as parking permits issued by the City of San Bernardino for the restricted neighborhood parking areas. Students attempting to park on the “permit only” side of the city streets with an SBVC parking decal will be cited by the City of San Bernardino.
• Parking on the SBVC side of the listed streets (Esperanza and “K” Street”) is still free and permissible without any SBVC parking decal or City of San Bernardino permit (remember to heed posted signs and curb designations)
• Free parking is available to students at the Pro Swap Meet (632 S. Mt. Vernon Avenue). However, as of August 26, the new hours for parking at the Pro Swap Meet are as follows: Mon/Tues/Thurs: 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. and Wed/Fri: 7 a.m. - 2 p.m.
• SBVC parking decals are available via WebAdvisor and are the lowest amongst community colleges in the Inland Empire
• Parking on campus on the weekends is free (no decal needed)
• SBVC students can ride the Omnitrans bus for free with a valid student I.D.