Students, staff and faculty will promote the benefits of an alcohol and drug-free lifestyle during Red Ribbon Week from October 14-18.
Amidst thousands of red ribbons in every corner of the campus, a full roster of activities aimed at promoting drug/alcohol awareness is planned for Red Ribbon Week 2012 (October 14-18) at San Bernardino Valley College.
Activities include presentations from community partner agencies, a candlelight memorial, club competitions, and a keynote address from author and CSU San Bernardino lecturer James Brown. Brown will appear on Monday afternoon to discuss his personal memoir through addiction as detailed in his book This River (available for purchase at the event via the SBVC Bookstore).
• All day - Pledge tables around campus to encourage students to be alcohol and drug-free for the week
• 1:00 – Author James Brown speaking about his book This River (Library Viewing Room)
• 4:00 – Sandra Espadas discussing the danger of abusing bath salts (Library Viewing Room)
• 1:00 and 6:00 – Agency Forum featuring community partner agencies speaking about treatment for substance abuse, prevention and intervention programs. A brief overview of the SBVC Human Services certificate programs will also be presented. (Library Viewing Room)
• 5:00 p.m. - Candlelight Memorial - An emotional event honoring those who have succumbed to the disease (Free speech area outside in campus quad)
• Goggle Toss – This competition amongst SBVC clubs will serve as a reminder for students about making safe choices and thinking before they drink
SBVC’s Red Ribbon Week is organized by the SBVC Human Services Club and the Human Services department which offers degrees and certificates in alcohol/drug studies, case management, and the field of human services.
For more information, contact Melinda Moneymaker at 909.384.1658.