Welcome to the Earth and Spatial Sciences Department at San Bernardino Valley College.
This department is comprised of the following disciplines: Geography, Geology, Geographic
Information Systems (GIS), and Oceanography.
The environmental and spatial science of geography examines both physical and cultural
landscapes with an emphasis on human-environmental interactions.
Geography integrates multiple natural and social sciences and includes the study of:
- forces of nature and the consequences of those forces
- nature and interactions of the atmosphere and the land
- plants and animals
- Earth's waters
- weather and climate
- Earth's dynamic surface
- landforms and soils
- human interaction with the physical environment through forms of agriculture, language,
religion, and cities
Graduation, Transfer, and Career Information:
Courses in geography:
- fulfill the science requirement for the associate degree,
- prepare students for majors at four-year institutions, including:
- geographic information systems (GIS)
- environmental sciences and studies
- Earth sciences
Students planning to transfer to a four-year institution and major in geography should
consult with a counselor regarding the transfer process and lower division requirements.