Welcome to the Earth and Spatial Sciences Department at San Bernardino Valley College. This department is comprised of the following disciplines: Geography, Geology, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and Oceanography.
Geographic Information Systems (GIS):
The GIS Certificate is designed to provide the skills and knowledge necessary for immediate entry-level employment for persons interested in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and automated mapping technology. The certificate also provides the needed upgrading and retraining of current employees in this rapidly expanding technological field.
GIS is used within the following economic sectors and organizations:
- Business (e.g. banking, logistics, real estate, marketing, and more),
- Government (e.g. local, state, national, military, emergency services, law enforcement, transportation, and more),
- Education and Science (e.g. research, libraries, k-12 education, higher education, and more),
- Environment and Conservation (e.g. ecology, parks, pollution monitoring, and more),
- Natural Resources (e.g. agriculture, forestry, mining, non-renewable resources, renewable resources, and more), and
- Utilities (e.g. electricity, natural gas, telecommunications, water, wastewater, and more).
Students working for certificates must have a basic knowledge of arithmetic, reading, and writing in order to learn and work in the occupations they select.