What is the Dean's List?
- Each semester, the Vice President of Instruction recognizes our students who have
excelled in their grades. To celebrate in these achievements at San Bernardino Valley
College, we provide these students with a certificate based off of their GPA:
3.50 - 3.69 Distinction
3.70 - 3.89 Honors
3.90 - 4.00 Highest Honors
- Students who have taken more than 12 degree applicable units in the Fall or Spring
- Students who have attained a 3.5 GPA or higher.
MEANINGFUL QUESTIONS ABOUT THE DEAN’S LIST
If you believe your name should appear on the Dean’s List and it does not, consider
1. Did you have a 3.5 GPA or higher for the Fall or Spring semester?
Two Dean’s Lists are generated each academic year – one for Fall semester and one
for Spring semester. The Dean’s List is based on the GPA your earned in a specific
semester, it is not based on your cumulative GPA.
2. Did you round your GPA to reach 3.5?
The Dean’s List is based on actual GPA, without rounding.
For example, if your GPA is 3.499 your official GPA is 3.49 rather than 3.50.
3. Did you receive an incomplete for a course during the semester?
If you completed the work required to replace an incomplete with a final letter grade
after the Dean’s List Report was complied, request a student-copy of your transcript
from the Records Office. Submit your transcript copy – including your final, correct
grade – to the Vice President of Instruction (AD/SS 200).
4. Did you take any courses for Credit/No Credit during the semester?
You qualify for the Dean’s List in a given semester if you complete 12 units of coursework
with letter grades of A,B,C,D or F). Courses taken on a Credit/No Credit basis and
non-degree applicable courses are not included in the 12 unit requirement.
If you still have questions about your absence from the Dean’s List, you can discuss
your concerns with:
- Staff in the office of the Vice President of Instruction (AD/SS 200).
- Staff in the Records Office (AD/SS 100).